This is an exciting and coveted role that requires an ambitious and strategic operational leader to drive Boxing Scotland forward to set new standards for the sport and its athletes.
MAIN ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Boxing Scotland has set some of the country’s greatest boxers on the path to Commonwealth and Olympic greatness. You must be able to inspire the boxing community at all levels to improve performance and participation in line with the vision, mission and values of the organisation as set out in our strategic plans and other policy documents.
As Chief Operating Officer (COO) you will be expected to oversee the successful implementation of our strategies, ensuring the highest standards of business operations at all levels and empowering a highly committed workforce.
You will be required to strengthen relationships with the amateur boxing community across Scotland, to champion and harness our sport’s unique ability to improve the nation’s health and wellbeing, and to demonstrate our commitment to diversity and inclusion for all.
You will also be the face of Boxing Scotland and, as such, are encouraged to speak proactively on behalf of the organisation.
- Ensure the highest standards of governance and compliance with key funding partners such as sportscotland and external commercial partners.
- Ensure Boxing Scotland has a respected and trusted voice among external stakeholders, locally and internationally, including GB Boxing, The International Boxing Association, and Commonwealth Games Federation.
- Lead the organisation with transparency and integrity, providing clear and demonstrable leadership to the board, the management team and everyone involved with the organisation.
- Ensure an effective and efficient system is in place to manage Boxing Scotland’s policies and procedures, maintaining compliance with all relevant regulatory and legal requirements including a code of conduct that is clearly communicated to all staff and reflective of the organisation’s values.
- Hold accountability for Boxing Scotland’s budget, forecasting and financial reporting and will be expected to provide full financial updates to the board.
- Ensure effective cost control measures and a robust risk management system.
- Implement effective operational strategies and tactical plans to support the growth of Boxing Scotland; grassroots participation; affiliated clubs; inclusion; and diversity.
- Increase the opportunities for participation in boxing and boxing activity, especially among hard-to-reach communities, including areas of multiple deprivation; among girls and women; and to improve mental and physical health at all ages.
- Oversee the successful management of all Boxing Scotland events.
REPORTS TO: THE BOARD
LINE MANAGER: THE CHAIR
Essential Previous Experience
- Proven track record in a leadership position commensurate with the responsibilities of the Chief Operating Officer role.
- Strong track record of cultivating effective relationships at board level, and among partners and stakeholders including government and local authorities.
- Experience of budget management and an appreciation of the risks associated with current financial models.
Essential Skills and abilities
- Ability to act as a valued ambassador and champion for Boxing Scotland.
- Leadership: to motivate and inspire others.
- Strategic thinking and planning to realise the vision for Boxing Scotland.
- Communication: ability to build effective relationships with members, colleagues, Board members and external stakeholders.
- Excellent organisation and planning skills to cope with a varied workload; ability to handle change and prioritise workloads effectively.
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise work to meet deadlines; initiative; ability to make judgements and take decisions
- A knowledge of the Scottish boxing landscape and its diverse stakeholders, including at community level.
- Excellence: to ensure high standards of service to members
- Commitment: to the values of Boxing Scotland and in particular equality, inclusion and diversity.
- Teamwork and self-motivation: confidence in own abilities to work as part of a team or on own initiative.
Desirable Previous Experience
- A strong and relevant network that will stimulate commercial and financial growth and income diversification.
- Experience of implementing a successful strategic plan aligned to performance management.
Desirable Skills and abilities
- Innovation: the ability to identify and exploit business opportunities when they arise.
- A demonstrable understanding of how Sports Governing Bodies operate.
Applications and CV should be sent to email@example.com no later than 24 July 2023 at midday.