On Tuesday 21 December, the First Minister provided an update to the Scottish Parliament on COVID-19 and related restrictions. This reiterated the increasing challenge posed by the Omicron variant, the priority being placed on supporting the vaccine and booster programme, and the need for businesses to strengthen compliance with protection measures.
As part of the update the First Minister also confirmed enhanced measures will be put in place for up to three weeks from 26th December 2021 for ‘large scale events’ and ‘indoor contact sport for adults’ and 27th December all other areas including hospitality & leisure centres.
These measures include:
- Indoor Contact Sport (adults)
- All other indoor (adult) contact sport (Sparring) should not take place during this period.
- Professional and/or elite indoor contact sport with approved plans and protocols in place may continue with training/competition. For further information regarding professional/elite sport please refer to the relevant section in Return to Competitions and Events.
- Large Scale Events
Large scale spectator and participation events can go ahead if 1m physical distancing measures are put in place and attendances limited to:
- Indoors – 100 standing, 200 seated
- Outdoors – 500 standing, and 500 seated
- Indoor Leisure Venues (including Gyms and Leisure Centres)
- 1-metre physical distancing should be implemented in gym and leisure centre settings. For classes limit numbers to ensure physical distancing can be maintained throughout the activity and at control entry/exit points.
- Stay Home, Stay Safe
- For the three-week period, the Scottish Government advises that people stay at home as much as possible, keep contacts to a minimum; and keep New Year gatherings as small as your family circumstances allow. Further Scottish Government guidance is available at Coronavirus in Scotland – gov.scot.
Below is a link to Version 23 of the Boxing Scotland COVID-19 Guidance dated 22/12/21;
Please continue to familiarise yourself with the Guidance document. So that their respective clubs continue following the guidance ensuring that clubs and gyms remain a safe environment for individuals to participate in physical activity. Therefore, we kindly ask that you take the time to familiarise yourself with our updated guidance document. Updates are in red highlighted in Yellow.
Should you have any questions or want to discuss any aspects of the above please contact Paul Coleman by email in the first instance and I will endeavour to get back to you. Please note we will be closed from Friday 17th December until Monday 10th January 2022 only limited to ensuring we remain up to date with any government change to restrictions.
In the meantime, please continue to stay safe and well over the holiday period. Keep your Guard up!